Why just pro tours... What about MSS?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

formats

Post  morgop on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:35 pm

At this level you should stick to the easier formats- both in terms of play skill and in card availability. Similar to beginner-level sets/advanced-level sets, Extended & Legacy represent more evolved skills & much more detailed rules understanding. Of course those are important at JSS too. A lot of these kids are cutting their teeth on the game. You don't want to force them to have rich parents who can buy the Extended or Legacy cards to go after that scholarship... Oh. To play in that tournament. Oh that's gone too. Hmmm.

Anyway IMO you should stick to Draft/Sealed/Standard. If you want to ratchet up the play skill required, make it a rochester T8. I know- not likely to happen given Wizard's current stance, but it would have the desired effect, while making a JSS T8 that much more interesting.

morgop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why just pro tours... What about MSS?

Post  mercenarybdu on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:26 am

morgop wrote:At this level you should stick to the easier formats- both in terms of play skill and in card availability. Similar to beginner-level sets/advanced-level sets, Extended & Legacy represent more evolved skills & much more detailed rules understanding. Of course those are important at JSS too. A lot of these kids are cutting their teeth on the game. You don't want to force them to have rich parents who can buy the Extended or Legacy cards to go after that scholarship... Oh. To play in that tournament. Oh that's gone too. Hmmm.

Anyway IMO you should stick to Draft/Sealed/Standard. If you want to ratchet up the play skill required, make it a rochester T8. I know- not likely to happen given Wizard's current stance, but it would have the desired effect, while making a JSS T8 that much more interesting.

That is not quite the fact by what I have studied when it comes along to looking over dealer prices on Extended and Block Con parts. Every time T2 rotates an entire old Block out of the format, the prices tend to drop by a large margin. Lets take Avatar of Woe when it was first legal in T2 prior to it being reprinted. Before it used to be $20 by itself, then it went to $15 after it rotated out then $10 when Mirrodin was brand new to the public and currently $5-$8 a copy. Although it was easy to acquire in a Precon, the price for one of those Precons went for $20 when they were still in circulation but over a short period of time it went to $50-$60 full USD. The could be said now with a more familiar Precon that had Jitte in it. Remember that Jitte went for $10 then it climbed all the way up to $25 but then after rotations fell back to $10 and at some places $8.

Other than Precons I have noticed the value of Kokusho drop as well. At first it went for $24 then $20 then $15 and now currently sits at $10 like what happened to Ravager after it was no longer legal in T2. As you could see T2 and Draft are pretty much Power Buyer Formats as Proven by Ferret's Theory when he went to go write up on of his articles on Starcitygames's site one of the other times. Even I have proven it true as well along with all of the Legacy players out there who figured it all out as it was only three years ago from today that I first started exploiting the Legacy format while abandoning all FNM and PTQ formats there were out there.

Although the starter is sinking in his teeth for the first time it would be a lot better to use a format with a lot more cards rather than just T2 (which constantly rotates) and Block (which is seasonal) as he or she wouldn't be so buckled down into an under powered format that could be easily figured out. Then Draft requires a lot more fundings as the player is working with a lot of unopened product, pretty much telling the player that they have to be a power buyer just to brush up on those skills.

Besides by the next Extended season, the format will be so under powered that it would grab more players than this current season where IOO7 are still legal as the current majority wouldn't remember too much about those blocks than they would do with MKRTLS89X and R that would push IOO7 out of the format this year. Ya most players would be thinking Affinity as about now when that time comes along but I know that the DCI will do something to knock it off the radar to prevent another PT Tinker from happening.

That is why I have suggested Sealed be the limited format of that program, then Block and Extended as the Constructed formats (which ever that benefits the players best, but I perfer Extended in the replacement program for more variety than seasonal).
mercenarybdu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top