Less PTs = less PTQs? (+ my 2 cents)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Less PTs = less PTQs? (+ my 2 cents)

Post  Becks84 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi everyone,

the Italian players almost elected me as a sort of representative cause I'm one of the few who plays (or is supposed to play) most of the PTs as I'm lvl 3 with the new changes...thay are scared about less ptqs due to the loss of a PT.
our main problem is that Italy is the second country in the world calculating the active players' number, tournaments, and sells (that seems amazing but it's true).
we have never had gravy trainers, nowadays we got 3 lvl 3 players (Barra, Cammilluzzi and me).
our ptqs count 200+ players and the slot number is still 1 every ptq, so it's difficult to qualify for every pt.
ptq players are scared about the possibility that the decrease of PTs can affect the decrease of ptqs (which i suppose it's a natural consequence).
for lots of people, playing on ptqs is just the reason not to stop playing Magic, which means looking for competition and trying to win a flight to a PT.
not so many people are really interested to become professional players, they just want to enjoy the game and try to play on the PT once or more.
flights are supposed to be the real reason for people to play.
i'm not really inside this situation, cause i plaied the last 3 pts and i'll play the next 3 at least, but for me it's important to keep the PT system alive.
when they decided to use the PT as an advertisement and a reason to play the game, they made a great thing and gave all the players a reason not to give up.
for lower level players it's an accomplishment just to play with Raphael, Olivier, Antoine, Kenji, Jelger, Antonino, Paulo Vitor, and all the other Pros (cannot mention everyone sorry^^).
that's why i think Wotc (and Hasbro the most) should try not to make them give up.
for me, they should keep possible to play on the PT for ptq players, and keep it possible for the highest level pros to continue playing making it worth it, and i'm saying that being in the middle, with no real advantage. In my opinion the reasons why people continue playing are the advantage at the highest levels and at the lowest levels.

Sorry about my english^^

cya in KL

David Besso

Becks84

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Less PTs = less PTQs? (+ my 2 cents)

Post  bsushort on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 pm

The opposite happened for my area. For the first time while I've been in competitive Magic, we now have two PTQs for a single PT. I'm guessing this means they are handing out PTQs a little more liberally under their new system.

My hope for their changes is that the support they removed from the PT/GP system is reinvested on the local level (as represented by more PTQs). When you think about it, PTQs reach a much wider section of the Magic player base than the higher level events do, so I would think shifting more focus to these events would be a good thing for the community. Plus, this will help all those players who have always felt they were on the cusp of reaching the PT, but just needed a little more competitive practice and a more frequent shot at it.

bsushort

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2 PTQs in one area

Post  sevan37 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:42 am

Actually they aren't awarding any more PTQs than before-they are offering the TOs the same deal that they have for about a year now. The TOs are allowed to run a second PTQ for the same PT, provided the TO pays for the plane ticket that goes to the winner. I would guess that wherever you are, bsusshort, is close enough to Hollywood (i.e. continental US) that the TO views it as +ev to offer a second PTQ, even at the additional cost of a plane ticket to Hollywood. I know that in my area the TO decided that since the PT was relatively close (making the plane ticket less expensive) and the format was constructed (which makes a PTQ more lucrative-no product to give out and added singles sales) they would have two PTQs for this season. However WoTC hasn't altered their policy to just allow any TOs to offer 2 PTQs; the TO must be willing to foot the extra cost.

-sevan37

Last edited by on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

sevan37

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2 PTQs in one area

Post  kade on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:19 am

sevan37 wrote:Actually they aren't awarding any more PTQs than before-they are offering the TOs the same deal that they have for about a year now. The TOs are allowed to run a second PTQ for the same PT, provided the TO pays for the plane ticket that goes to the winner. I would guess that wherever you are, bsusshort, is close enough to Hollywood (i.e. continental US) that the TO views it as +ev to offer a second PTQ, even at the additional cost of a plane ticket to Hollywood. I know that in my area the TO decided that since the PT was relatively close (making the plane ticket less expensive) and the format was constructed (which makes a tournament more lucrative-no product to give out and added singles sales) they would have two PTQs for this season. However WoTC hasn't altered their policy to just allow any TOs to offer 2 PTQs; the TO must be willing to foot the extra cost.

-sevan37

Wow, I didn't know that was a possibility. That never hapenned in my country, not even when the PT was in it.

Apart from that, I totally agree with Becks, and although I cannot speak for all my fellow contrymen, I am sure we all have a similar concern.
By the way, how I hate those 180+ PTQs No

kade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:51 pm

In Argentina we´re having 2 PTQs of 220+ people per PT, problem is sales aren´t that good (at least thats what they say) in part because its much cheaper to buy cards via internet than from local stores...

Pedro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:45 am

When the PT was first introduced there were originally three stops that grew to more over a long period of time until it went back down to 4 per season.

Now for the first time in 12 years, we see three PT events over 4 or more.

Since nobody, wanted to schedule a team event this season that made the count of PTs down to 3 rather than the 4 we had last season and the season before.

here are the numbers from season one to the current season of events in number form excluding Worlds....

3 <------season one with the event to try to get it off the ground
5 <------PTQs are introduced
6 <------Worlds is moved from Summer/Fall to Winter
mercenarybdu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maarten on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:51 am

In Holland we have usually 4 PTQ's / PT with 6 slots total (2 1-slotters and 2 2-slotters)

# of players is between 70-120, with numbers going down <100 in the last year. So we have it a lot easier than some other countries. although I guess the level of play is quite high here in PTQs, with loads of people with PT experience and also veteran German and Belgian players coming over to steal slots

maarten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

stealing slots

Post  Becks84 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:42 pm

talking about stealing slots is interesting.
last year I went to some abroad ptqs, as i live in the north of Italy which is not far from France, Switzerland, etc.
I lost a limited ptq final in Switzerland (as I remember there were 60-70 ppl) and won a 2-slot ptq tsp block constructed in Saint-Raphael, France. It was like 70 ppl for 2 slots, which seems amazing to me cause of the italian 200+ ppl for 1 slot Very Happy

last year there was an event like Gencon or something in England, there were 3 ptqs (tsp block constructed), some italian friends of mine went there, 3 italians won the 3 ptqs. There were like 30 ppl each ptq.
For us is simply worth it to take a ryan air plane ticket and go anywhere else rather than play in italian ptqs, which are sometimes bigger than some us-asian-australian GPs.

today there's a super-ptq in Milan, 2 slot for 257 ppl (they told me like that at the phone).

couldn't we just ask about giving a second slot for the runner-up in ptqs with 9+ rounds of swiss? if the PT was in Europe that would just be great, otherwise even losing in a final after 12-hours playing Magic could be better, cause u have the slot and u can pay for the plane ticket if u don't qualify in some other way.

that would have no money consequences on Wotc and would give a price to nations that can make ptqs bigger than Gps Very Happy

Becks84

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum