One day log off on MTGO?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

One day log off on MTGO?

Post  Prof_Hydra on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:22 am

Hi all,

My new job means I don't get to play the game much anymore but I do still like it and I don't want to see it die out. The recent changes might as well say 'beginning of the end of the PT' and if that goes MtG probably follows in a couple of years as sales decline and hasbro dumps it out of panic.

I posted this as a suggestion in one of SCG's forums:

"It might be an interesting experiment if all the people who think the changes will significantly affect how they play Magic (because they're going to quit, not pay $40 for a tarmogoyf, buy a few boosters of the next expansion instead of two display boxes) pick a day and stay off MTGO for that day.

I know I'm kind of walking into boycott territory, which is not the vibe I'm gunning for.

I'm guessing the link between spending squillions on the Pro Tour and gaining oodles of extra booster sales is a tough one for anyone in WotC to sell to Hasbro. Help them out. If you really think these changes will result in you spending less on Magic then all of you pick a day and stay logged off."

I don't want it to be seen as a boycott. As I think Olivier has already mentioned WotC is not the enemy here (although their communication policy is fairly lousy) and this definitely should not be seen as the Pro's throwing a hissy fit because WotC ran off with the ball.

Basically someone made these decisions because they thought they made financial sense. It's up to you guys to show to them that their maths is wrong. So pick a day and don't log on to MTGO. If hardly anyone shows up that day then you'll give them a sign of what the future holds for the game if they continue to downsize the PT.

If you can't make an impact on that day then I'm sorry but they got their sums right and you shouldn't expect them to spend so much on the PT when it doesn't really benefit them.

Prof (Craig Jones)

Prof_Hydra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PV on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:05 am

What's the relation with people not showing up in MTGO and not having pro tours?

I don't see how it's relevant, honestly... it's obvious that a number of people not logging in is going to change nothing, we don't even need to experiment.
How does that say anything about the impact of cutting a pro tour and the relevance of pro players for real life magic?

PV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: One day log off on MTGO?

Post  Prof_Hydra on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:38 am

PV wrote:What's the relation with people not showing up in MTGO and not having pro tours?

Which I'm guessing is close to what someone in Hasbro/WotC's accounting department said before they told the the marketing department they wouldn't be traveling to Japan for a 4th PT this year.

WotC doesn't run the PT out of the goodness of it's heart. It runs it because it's marketing. They pay for Raph, Olivier and pro's like yourself to travel the world because they know there are hundreds of players out there that will pay many times more in boosters, etc to try and be just like you.

PV wrote:I don't see how it's relevant, honestly... it's obvious that a number of people not logging in is going to change nothing, we don't even need to experiment.
How does that say anything about the impact of cutting a pro tour and the relevance of pro players for real life magic?

If it isn't relevant then you're completely wasting your time with all this. WotC won't go back to running 5 PT's in a year or paying out $500 appearance fees to level 3's if they don't think it makes financial sense for them to do so. The player's union is a really good idea, but I think the only thing you might get fixed is the bad communications problem and that's mainly because you've already started to do that for them for free by setting this site up.

Personally I think they're damaging the long term future of the game through short term cutbacks, but unless you can demonstrate that to them (by them i mean the people who keep track of the bottom line) then they're going to keep cutting money out of the budget until someone looks up and goes 'where did all the players go', by which time it will be already too late. I picked MTGO because it seemed like the only thing you could to do to show them that right now.

Prof

Prof_Hydra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PV on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:12 am

I was talking specifically about this:

"If you can't make an impact on that day then I'm sorry but they got their sums right and you shouldn't expect them to spend so much on the PT when it doesn't really benefit them."

We will never make an impact on that day - which doesn't relate in any way to whether removing a pro tour will be harmful or not. I think they are two completely different things.

You say "if we cannot make an impact by skipping modo for a day, they were right about cutting a pro tour". I think there is no relation between those two statements.

PV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:32 am

I think this website forum could do with a subforum for Modo!

Luke

View user profile http://www.eastbourne-elemental.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:03 am

I don't see your point here as this site was created to save the PT circuit from crumbling like the Greek City states. In fact I don't even play MTGO as there are still a lot of bugs with the programing that still needs to be sorted out before making the decision to jump in.

Then again I perfer physical cards over digital as you could get into your opponent's face as many times as you like, digital might be convenient to the person who can't find physical players, but then it leaves out all of the fun of socialization of playing the game as the player is only engaged with a computer screen.

mercenarybdu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BurnBait on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 am

I think the message Prof (Do you mind if I call you prof? I hope not...) is trying to get across here is that everything is about money. If the news about the pro tour is shown to directly influence sales in MTGO, hasbro might decide that it isn't worth it to cut the PT, because their player support in the digital world will sink. After all, MTGO is the most accurate graph of player intrest, since it's both easily recordable and easily accessible. This news may not effect the world of paper cards for a couple of months, by which time the situation will have degraded further. Not a good outcome. If, on the otherhand, this news results in an immediate, recordable decrease in revenue from the online industry, the company that controls magic production will probably be forced to at least CONSIDER the option of reinstating the Pro Tour, in the hopes of reboosting popular support.

Apologies for the hashed paragraph, I'm tired.

BurnBait

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  raitorm on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:56 pm

BurnBait wrote:I think the message Prof (Do you mind if I call you prof? I hope not...) is trying to get across here is that everything is about money. If the news about the pro tour is shown to directly influence sales in MTGO, hasbro might decide that it isn't worth it to cut the PT, because their player support in the digital world will sink. After all, MTGO is the most accurate graph of player intrest, since it's both easily recordable and easily accessible. This news may not effect the world of paper cards for a couple of months, by which time the situation will have degraded further. Not a good outcome. If, on the otherhand, this news results in an immediate, recordable decrease in revenue from the online industry, the company that controls magic production will probably be forced to at least CONSIDER the option of reinstating the Pro Tour, in the hopes of reboosting popular support.

I thought this was obvious enough for everyone to figure out from Mr. Jones' post, let alone you mtg geniuses.

Or is it because you just skim through every post and start yelling at people as soon as you see something that is not to your liking? I used to wonder about how those magic pros do outside magic, and I came to the conclusion that most of the top pros are also elites in real life. But this forum gave me a huge disappointment. You guys set up this "mtg player" union, and as soon as somebody who does not care as much as the top pros about downsizing the PT and such shows up, you guys start saying sentences like "then why are you here?". Right.... why are we "non-pro magic players are still in a magic player union? Great question....

Btw thanks for pointing all this out BurnBait, even though I didn't think anyone needed to. Now they should know.

raitorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum