Hasbro and WotC to make money?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hasbro and WotC to make money?

Post  Kameleon on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 am

What I never understood is how WotC or Hasbro has never opened up a 'secondary market' for selling Magic Cards. They sell booster packs, fat packs, tournament decks and premade decks but never any Magic singles. I think if WotC would sell singles from their website, it would make the company more money.

A booster pack is $5 with tax, and you have a chance at opening up a pack with a $20 rare. Why not just sell the rare for $20? They would make more of a profit, which is what they are after and they wouldn't have to cut down on PT/PTQs.

Just my 2 cents from a non-proplayer.
Kameleon

View user profile http://MMAForum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hasbro and WotC to make money?

Post  bsushort on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:41 am

It couldn't possibly work. The prices end up where they are because there are just as many Tarmogoyfs as Steamflogger Boss. If you start selling additional singles, the numbers go up and they can't hold that same value. The entire secondary market would collapse.

bsushort

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 pm

I like the Christmassy feeling of opening the booster!

It's also a trading card game, the trading side would be ruined.
Luke

View user profile http://www.eastbourne-elemental.com

Back to top Go down

That would be outrageous

Post  morgop on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:03 pm

Can you imagine the outrage if WOTC suddenly started selling goyfs for even $20 a pop? Or maybe ultra mint lotuses for $1000 or moxes for $500? Singles prices would crash. That would undermine and alienate every collector and store out there which has built up a stash of cards, plus it would virtually eliminate the incentive and thereby support of stores to hold events. The stores are spending their own funds promoting these events and selling on behalf of WOTC. It would be one of the worst things they could do to undermine that support.

morgop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 am

If they opened too much into the secondary market then it would devalue the game by a large percentage as they wouldn't make too much money by then. After that they would also drive out the local dealer from ever selling singles or making it into that field.

So that is pretty much a bad idea if you are the little guy trying to make it.
mercenarybdu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top