Selecting Union's representatives.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Selecting Union's representatives.

Post  Beorn on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:05 pm

I offer my services, but not as a pro player or a tournament player aspiring to make it on the Pro Tour. I am simply a player who enjoys reading about and watching the Pro Tour. This is the best decision ever, and I think that if all goes well it will be the next step in solidifying Magic as a) a viable way to make a living and b) the best card game EVAR! (As if it wasn't already Very Happy ) I'm not saying that you are, but just remember not to lose sight of the aim. The prolific players help the cause, but don't forget the aspiring pros, and those who just watch to enjoy it all. Power to the players!
Beorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

PU Representatives

Post  Raph on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Hey all.

Just to let you know who is currently working as a Union Representative (UR):

Bateleur
RuudW
LSV
Misterorange
Friedm
Eelco1972
Frankkarsten
Raph
TobiH
PV
thepchapin

Not all of them are attending the meeting in KL, but we are all working on different ways to improve our organisation. A website is being created. Issues for KL are being discussed.

Voila for now!
Raph

Raph
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Reindeercards on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Raph wrote:Hey all.

Bateleur
RuudW
LSV...

LSV? Are the Legion of Super-Villains really the right group of people to pick for this project?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Super-Villains

Reindeercards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:03 am

Me

Luke May, Tournament Organiser and Judge hailing from south England (UK) with a huge interest and 'guru' like status in the local community for the game. I'm committed to magic and have run a successful club for 3 years, taking over from guys running it. I've turned a 8-10 player community into a 30-40 player community all closely linked with each other and enjoying the game we all spend our money on.

I've been playing 10 years, peaked at top 8 in a GPT and proud to be the only player to have used only mountains as land in Odyssey Block Contructed Grand Prix London '02. I've gone from 1580 to 1774 in ratings and now I'm back down to 1730 but still looking to play and increase my skill evermore.

Aim

I wish to have my players confident in the long-term of my club and the clubs in my area. I want my players to know if they want to take the game to the next level that Wizards are showing them the steps and giving them the nessicary means to take the jump and commit to the game furthermore. I want people happy with the game I've put half my life into. I want to be happy with the game and I want to know I'm looked after if I start to get good at the game. I'm interested in the growth of the game and want to see the popularity of the game scale through the roof.

Analysis

Wizards nor Hasbro seem unreasonable and I can say from the UK's point of view we have perhaps some of the best people running the show. Our organized play manager is keen to get to know all the clubs and shops round the country and make sure things are running smoothly nationwide. While the UK most likely doesn't have a presence like the USA, Japan or some parts of Europe when deciding pro-tours and ultimate events it is still a very active and large playing group which has over the years seen a lot of spotlight players and people. The UK player collective seems very much in favour and happy with all the work over 2007 wizards have done to make the professional circuit known and well represented. All the people I get to speak to regularly keep up to date with the podcasts and videos. We all want to know the latest decks and whats going on with the big names. The losses of big events and the proposed discontinuation of amateur and rookie prizes will more than likely hurt the UK's growing magic scene. We don't have as many big names as the other nations in this game and shutting down the incentives to push players 'pro' wouldn't help the UK find our own Budde/Finkel.

Plan

By being part of the collective union I'd make sure I well attend the big events of the UK from a player/TO and Judge point of view making sure players are informed of goings on and giving players the option to spread there views. I would seek out what changes happen in the UK with all things organized play and keep in touch with the player bases. There is a lot of people very committed to MTG in the UK, traders, moxRadio, conventions and the rest. These people have a view and deserve to know whats happening to the professional circuit of magic. Then those Traders and people who make a living from the game can decide if it will have an impact on them!

Conclusion

I dedicate a lot of time to MTG and feel if I didn't put myself forward to volunteer and this had a detrimental effect to the tournaments in my area, I'd feel like I've let myself down and the player base around me!
Luke

View user profile http://www.eastbourne-elemental.com

Back to top Go down

Meeting in KL

Post  Dirve on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:51 am

I'd like to get involved. I'll be in KL and am curious as to how the union will operate (probably decided at a meeting the night before the PT). I'm new to the level 3 (or level 4) thing and have climbed up level 1, 2, and 3 over the last 3 years. I'd love to be around for a discussion pre/during the meeting with wizards.

David Irvine
e-mail: david.irvine@pobox.com
aim: davidirvine2000
msn: dirve_irvine@hotmail.com

Dirve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

An Australian Perspective.

Post  bighandsomepete on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:56 am

Australians will probably never be a force on the PT circuit. The Ben Seck is about the only major player of note.

Geographically we're a vast country, with a fairly well spread population. This means traveling to actually get to PTQ's, and our one GP a year. Nationals is held in Canberra every year, quite a drive for most of the people qualified for it. That it now pays out Pro Points is nice, but not really relevant. Sure, if someone was looking to qualify for the tour based on PT points it'd be fantastic, but look at the surrounding area. Airline tickets from any aussie city to any asian city are expensive. Flying to the U.S. is even more so. And it's a 25 hour flight from Sydney to L.A.

The ticket for the PTQ helps, but during the late 90's - early 00's, when it was just a cash prize? For the most part, melbourne players just saw it as a cash tourney. Going to the Pro tour itself was nice, but not really anything like economically feasible.

My point: Don't worry too much about picking an aussie rep.

Random Australian Failure.
Bighandsomepete.

bighandsomepete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:05 am

KenjiT wrote:This is Kenji Tsumura.
I want to join that,but my English is not good enough...and some Japanese pro too.
It's big problem Sad If I can join disucussion at KL, I need traslater(like Keita Mori or someone)

Then this should be a good time to polish up on your Language Skills or have some good literacy skills in that language. The more language you know the more you will become independent in the world over dependent on someone to help you translate.

My language speaking skills might be in the trash but I could still understand Cantonese perfectly fine. So if you are having a hard time speaking then listening and writing out your answers could be an option in your case. Think about it when you do find your buddy who could translate my message. Arrow
mercenarybdu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  oni_meno on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:46 am

Where will this meeting be held? (sorry, if this info was already given)

I believe the players in KL will be interested to attend. Will contact Terry Soh and see his point of view.

I believe that there should be a representative from each country. Just to show that it's a world wide issue. I vote for Terry Soh.

Twisted Evil

oni_meno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

union reps

Post  Joey on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:18 pm

Raph wrote:Hey all.

Bateleur
RuudW
LSV
Misterorange
Friedm
Eelco1972
Frankkarsten
Raph
TobiH
PV
thepchapin

Not all of them are attending the meeting in KL, but we are all working on different ways to improve our organisation. A website is being created. Issues for KL are being discussed.

Voila for now!
Raph

thats an impressive lst of names, its just that i cant help but feel that those guys arent gonna have the best interest of the average timmy, spike, or johny at heart when discussing with Wotc (i dont mean this in a negative way at all, just as a thought). Pro players, and magic writers, etc.. are at best 5% of the total magic community, so you have 4-5 players repping 5 percent, and how many repping the other 95%?
i have tons of respect for people like Raph, P.Chapin, etc... but
wheres the rep for the student who saves some pocket money so he can buy half a box of boosters the day mornintgtide comes out?
or the rep for the guys(and gals) who sit around the table playing huge multiplayers for nothing else than bragging rights for the week?
its kind off hard to think that a long list of pros is gonna represent the average magic player when raph posts:

"I have been thinking lately of a way for WotC to fix the damage. One of the solutions I thought of is to restore the End of the Year Payout. I'm not talking about cutting the Pro Player Club, it would be in addition to the Pro Players Club."

with all do respect. What damage? the last 100 or so magic players i talked to had just busted packs of morningtide for the first time, played a few MMM drafts, and all in all had a great time.... im pretty sure they dont feel like theres any damage, in fact seeing as for the first time we actually had product arrive in country day before the release event, and there was actually enough product to go around most of the players they probably felt that things are better than ever. althought i admit there was quite a bit of pro and con discussion about the players union.

i can understand Raphs point of view, and i agree that for him (and quite a few other pros) there is "damage", but theres a whole lot of maigc players out there who dont have any problem with the changes whatsoever....

edit: i just reread this post, and it came across much more negative than i intended. i apologize if i caused offense

Joey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Union Reps

Post  MCosta on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Joey wrote: thats an impressive lst of names, its just that i cant help but feel that those guys arent gonna have the best interest of the average timmy, spike, or johny at heart when discussing with Wotc (i dont mean this in a negative way at all, just as a thought). Pro players, and magic writers, etc.. are at best 5% of the total magic community, so you have 4-5 players repping 5 percent, and how many repping the other 95%?
i have tons of respect for people like Raph, P.Chapin, etc... but
wheres the rep for the student who saves some pocket money so he can buy half a box of boosters the day mornintgtide comes out?
or the rep for the guys(and gals) who sit around the table playing huge multiplayers for nothing else than bragging rights for the week?

Isn't that the point of having a guy like Evan Erwin on the squad? (MisterOrange) He is the representative of the less competetive, more casual crowd who still has a stake in competetive magic. The point is that this Union is for the sake of competetive magic, and the Pro Tour, so those casual players who pay no attention to the PT, and have no aspirations for high level competetive play, don't really need a representative. Evan bridges the gap for the half-competetive, half-casual players.

MCosta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rickiep00h on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Here's the problem: who are you going to pick to represent the casual player when the PT is in KUALA LUMPUR? Joe. Q. Magic isn't going to go down there just for the heck of it. I think Erwin is a fine stand-in for, say, me.

rickiep00h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iceage4life on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 pm

Joey wrote:with all do respect. What damage? the last 100 or so magic players i talked to had just busted packs of morningtide for the first time, played a few MMM drafts, and all in all had a great time.... im pretty sure they dont feel like theres any damage, in fact seeing as for the first time we actually had product arrive in country day before the release event, and there was actually enough product to go around most of the players they probably felt that things are better than ever. althought i admit there was quite a bit of pro and con discussion about the players union.

i can understand Raphs point of view, and i agree that for him (and quite a few other pros) there is "damage", but theres a whole lot of maigc players out there who dont have any problem with the changes whatsoever....

I think you're missing the point.

If you're unaffected and don't really care about recent changes to the Pro Tour why the hell would you be interested in this? This Union was formed because of recent changes to the PT and if you don't care about them you don't need to participate. The meetings will be held at Pro Tours which I doubt many casual mutiplayer players will attend unless it is very local and for side events.

You're totally right that most Magic players don't have a problem with the "damage" if so, move along.

iceage4life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:37 am

rickiep00h wrote:Here's the problem: who are you going to pick to represent the casual player when the PT is in KUALA LUMPUR? Joe. Q. Magic isn't going to go down there just for the heck of it. I think Erwin is a fine stand-in for, say, me.

But then you must ask yourself; "is Erwin really going to that PT to talk about it on behalf of the Union?"

He dished out a large amount from donations just to go to Worlds at the end of the 2007 Season. Before then his own pocket, complete with borrowed cards from his own play group just to play at his First PT event.

So trying to send him off to Malaysia is going to be difficult as he has priorities too like everyone else leading into the weekend. Besides who knows what he has on his agenda during that weekend of his?
mercenarybdu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rep for every country

Post  rhaze on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:56 am

i agree with oni_meno. i think each country should have a rep, but then should have someone to report to (or keep in touch with) should there be any announcements to make. by having reps in every country, you could still have a group of players (from each continent possibly?) that would actually end up at a discussion table with reps fro WotC. this way the player reps dont really have to keep track of everything and can just get updates/pleas/complaints/suggestions from country reps instead.

and on a side note, if we are voting for country reps, i agree with terry soh as well. am from malaysia btw.

rhaze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:54 am

rhaze wrote:i agree with oni_meno. i think each country should have a rep, but then should have someone to report to (or keep in touch with) should there be any announcements to make. by having reps in every country, you could still have a group of players (from each continent possibly?) that would actually end up at a discussion table with reps fro WotC. this way the player reps dont really have to keep track of everything and can just get updates/pleas/complaints/suggestions from country reps instead.

and on a side note, if we are voting for country reps, i agree with terry soh as well. am from malaysia btw.

Instead of just one rep per nation why not a rep and LT rep for each region formulating into a single national council. Because a National Rep is useless if he or she lived in a large country trying to cover for the concerns of every player who plays in that land plot as they would need nearly every voice to make a more effective decision when it comes to be an important one.
mercenarybdu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Comment on structure

Post  janos_wuryon on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:57 pm

I think the representation should be broken down into 2 levels. First a rep. from each geographic play area ( N. America, S. America, Euro, Asia, and an extra Euro or Asia rep) These should be individuals chosen based on level of play( pro's are best) who travel to most events and are known to a large number of people. Below these individuals will be groups of players ( maybe 3-5) from areas in their regions who will be responsible to communicate between their play areas and the level 1 reps. these people can be any active player with an interest in the future of the game who communicate well with their local community.

I think by doing this a larger amount of information can be processed (by the level 2 groups) and the most pressing issues can be sent up to the Lv1 reps who will bring it to the table when dealing with WOTC/Hasbo. It will also have the benefit of allowing local concearns to be presented to officials that can work on these issues localy.

Also since not everyone who is passionate about the game ( like myself) will be able to travel the world to present topics to WOTC/Hasbro this system will allow us to serve the Unions cause in a meaningful level ( as lv2 reps) and impact our immediate communities.

janos_wuryon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top